Saturday, February 14, 2009

Wandering in the Dark

After recently completing a commissioned comedy I have turned my attention back to a stubborn script that resists the usual questions and tricks of the trade. I find myself talking to the script (or is to myself?)... what do you want to be? I ask. Not THAT is the sarcastic and impatient reply (sort of like a teen ager) every time I try something new. I am hopeful that this struggle is a good sign and that the play will be unique, with its own voice and purpose in this world. But it's possible it may not belong on the stage. I miss the predictable logic and structure of the comedy I wrote. It was familiar terrain with clear objectives each day of writing. Not this script. I keep waiting to stumble on the right course. Or maybe I am not listening well enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment